Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ye olde music newes.

I feel like chatting music, and starting in a strange place.

Downloaded some eps from the Blast First site; two tributes to Alan Vega. And one includes a track by the Horrors. Not too shabby, also quite different from what I expected.

About the Horrors. Have been thinking abut bands cutting their own balls off and the Horrors always spring to mind. A friend posted the “Sheena Is A Parasite” vid back in 2006, and was the first I’d heard of them. The video sold me. I purchased the ep. The insane garage sound sold me even more. I started recommending them to old-timey punk friends, thinking they’d adore the meaningless sound of it all (I passed around the Hives in much the same spirit). Who cares about the lyrics? Listen to that! Like the Detroit Cobras, makes you shake that ass!

What I didn’t take into account was that the Horrors would fundamentally change their ep songs for the full-length release. Part of me said, “Oooo, how clever, giving the audience something different and more bang for their buck.” The other part of me was terribly disappointed. I’m curious to find out why they changed the songs, but not losing sleep over it. And haven’t bothered to look up any interviews. I don’t care that much. What I do know is that the ep is a little garage gem; I don't give a toss about the lp.

Was also fascinated with video director's Chris Cunningham’s response, who stated he liked the futuristic sound. Interesting. I must admit the Sheena video became an instant favorite...and how simple is it? Very. God only knows if it got any play on MTV and the like (again, don’t care), so maybe people are so burned out on it they can’t bear the idea of watching it again. But I’m going to embed it here anyway.



Just discovered it was banned back in the day. Really??? People have too much f***ing time on their hands if they're offended by that.

I’ve recently seen a boxed set featuring Spike Jonze‘s, Chris Cunningham’s and Michel Gondry’s video oeuvres and am considering it. May pick it up in just a bit actually. I know exactly where it is, and there is an invisible string leading me toward it ;) Sheena t'aint on it though.

Speaking of videos, I gather there is a rather embarrassing video out on YouTube involving the Horrors and a venue they shouldn’t have chosen. Reminding us all that in this new world, it takes about 2 minutes for your puddle of flop sweat to be seen by the masses.

...........

And as a final aside, just discovered that I could upgrade my iTunes purchases to remove the protections…..at a cost though. Irritating. At 30 cents per song, I could now provide you with the ep….which is exactly why the protections were there in the first place. It would cost me over $50 to convert everything - won’t be doing it - but still, think I got off easy.

The iTunes update from Jan. 7th (I’m always behind the news)

No comments:

Post a Comment