Sunday, February 1, 2009

Natural History Museum, 10.03.2008.

I'd mentioned I might go more indepth on the London trip, so hold onto yer hats. Going to be a long ride.

May as well take it day by day. First day in, after a surprisingly comfy-womfy flight on Air New Zealand - highly recommended!, and checking into the Kensington Marriott, I trotted off to the Natural History Museum down the street. It is almost skipping distance from the Gloucester Road tube station.

I was flummoxed from the get-go, because, as you other Americans are well aware, you have to empty your pockets at the door of any museum. But I couldn't find the desk where I might pay, and saw no lines (despite tons of people). Suffered a surfeit of guilt as I walked in...and laugh now that I should feel guilty about learning for free. A friend tipped me off that there is no admission fee...but they heartily enjoy donations.

The dinos held the greatest allure, and as soon as you walk in you're battered with huge skeletons - picking their largest and most visually impressive 'saurs to draw you in. A diplodocus stretched from snout to tip-of-tail by way of a post-mortem greeting...beautiful. And I always find myself wondering what they really looked like. Glad that archeologists and such have been finding organs and skin imprints to fill in our rather huge knowledge gaps.

The museum was PACKED. I know I've said this repeatedly, but I don't think I've ever been so pressed against my fellow man anywhere. At least fellow humanity I don't know. It was a bit claustrophobic, and unfortunately, the way the paleo area is arranged, it's much like a cattle run to the slaughterhouse. Once you're on the path, there's no going back. I think this is excellent information for those who 1) can't stand crowds, and 2) may not be able to stand for long periods of time. I thought of my overweight friends a lot on this trip.

After a while, I felt like bolting, but eased into a focus on getting photos and lessening my fixation on the people around me. The family ahead of me were horrified by the amount the dinosaur exhibit cost...odd concern, that. And of course you could hear everything anyone was saying, because everyone is up your nose.

Having said that, it is an amazing collection. I was enchanted with the way they had set up the walkway - the dinos are on two levels and you get to see most specimens from two perspectives. Space-saving and interesting - very clever. The top level allows you to be face-to-face with the bulk of the dino skellies, lots of predators up there...the grouping of raptors is posed quite well, making it easy to imagine them coming after you (Jurassic Park may have assisted with that visualization).

The lower level is more the "Have fun with learning!" level...lots of little informative plaques and games/exercises. But you can still look up and see the skeletons above you (as they're placed on clear plexi; again, quite clever thinking).

The shadows are amazing. I wish I wasn't constantly being prodded forward by the crowd. Could have stayed and snapped shots for a very long time. But they had to be on-the-fly. Too bad, but got what I could.

The rest of the museum is much like any natural history museum, with impressive bits and not-so impressive bits. I dislike taxidermy and don't much care that it was the only way for people to learn at one time. Looking at musty and motheaten dead animals does not impress me. A particularly horrifying display of hundreds of dead hummingbirds left a deep impression.

It seemed as though I was always walking in the wrong direction...the walkways are teensy-tiny and once again force you into intimate contact with perfect strangers. I became quite worn out after three hours or so, and decided to call it a day even though I hadn't seen the mineral room yet. And heck, I'll be back.

Beautiful museum, and an excellent first stop when you head to London. Afterward, if you walk west down Cromwell, there's a very tasty little Indian restaurant near the Holiday Inn and Marriott, across the street. Tiny place (and for the life of me I can't remember the name), but quite worth it. One waiter is very sweet and the other is quite rude. Good luck to you on which one you get ;)



"Full screen" mode (the little button on the bottom right of the frame) is advised for the above slideshow...I like to think it's more impressive that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment