Monday, June 22, 2009

It's a righteous life we're leadin', friends...

...or, if not righteous, perhaps one could take a slightly cynical look at one of the next lines of lyrics from "Righteous Life" (found on Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66's LP "Stillness"): but no one else notices destiny except the free. And as I walked the beach once again today, I could only but acknowledge that I'm crazy-free at the moment, up to my ass in freedom; but destiny? Not so sure I could see that if it poked me with a sharp stick.

The beach had a different aspect today; it looked as though a garbage skip had turned over offshore. All manner of things moving along the shoreline, from used (or unused? who can tell after a while?) condoms to styrofoam pieces (do people still use that stuff?) to hairspray cans (again, huh?). A few empty bottles that once contained guarana and caffeine energy drinks rolled about. And look at that, an old fishline complete with hook whispering past my ankle, creepy as hell. But the condition of the beach ddn't get me down too much - I made a silent resolution to contact the city about it and mentally moved on. Doesn't seem to have stopped many other people either: lots of kids playing in the mucked-up water, and fit-types jogging the sand away. An oh-so urban feel today, like "what can you do when you can't get out of the city on a hot sunny day" - you make due with what you have, and enjoy yourself.

And so, today's soundtrack was a little different.

The Funky 16 Corners, which I purchased from emusic, is a grand compilation of little-known funk songs, all excellent. My personal favorite is "What About You (In The World Today)":

"How'd you get that hole in your shoe?"
"By looking for a job that you know wasn't there."

The funk comp was followed by one of my more subtle favorites, the aforementioned "Stillness" by Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66. I agree with allmusic's review, which states it's the "great sleeper album of Sergio Mendes' first A&M period". Lani Hall really captured me here, even if she left the album mid-production. I went on to acquire her "Sundown Lady" lp - it didn't please me as much, but is still thoroughly anjoyable. Mendes rendition of "For What It's Worth" is still one of my favorite covers (please check out the link for a quick listen)...I originally heard it on the Mojo Cub Dancefloor Jazz compilations, and that in turn prompted me to get this full album. Comps have been very good to me.

I suppose if I'd walked a little further, I might have started listening to the Mojo mixes or Roots of Chicha...but hey, we have a whole summer ahead of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment